This course allows students to complete the first year of the GCE Chemistry A level qualification. It has the convenience and flexibility of being delivered mostly by distance learning.
Teaching & learning
Learning will be mostly by student self-study using a dedicated textbook with online support and an extensive range of resources available through the College's virtual learning environment (eBrock).
It is therefore essential to have access to the internet.
Minimum entry requirements
Students will need good independent study skills and a minimum grade B in Mathematics and Science GCSE is preferable.
How will I be assessed?
The AS assessment is made up of two examinations containing multiple choice, short answers and questions requiring an extended response.
Students hoping to progress onto year 2 will be assessed for the full A level through 3 examination papers.
Information & support
- All students are required to attend a two hour group induction workshop.
- There is also a series of six laboratory-based evening workshops which take two and a half hours each. These workshops will include experiments 1 – 6 of the 12 compulsory experiments required in the full A level qualification.
- There will also be exam workshops prior to these exams.
- Students will receive a minimum of five hours individual support via email, telephone, Skype or face to face.
- Experienced and competent staff at our adult learning centres can help you decide on your course and progression options.
Course fees & Duration
There is a cost of £675 to complete this course.
What can I do with this qualification?
Completion of this course allows progression onto the A2 course in order to achieve a full GCE A level qualification in Chemistry.