Mandarin Chinese is spoken by nearly one third of the world’s population and has become increasingly important as a language of global business.
As a result, a proficiency in this language could help you stand out in tomorrow’s jobs market, giving you a competitive edge.
By studying Chinese you will also become familiar with the culture of China, which is an historic and diverse world superpower.
Please note: this course is for people who have studied Chinese at a lower level like GCSE.
Why choose Brock for Chinese A Level?
At Brock we are the only further education institution to have been awarded Confucius classroom status for the quality of our teaching in Mandarin Chinese.
As a student you will learn from a native Chinese speaker and also have access to our Language Laboratory, which contains high-tech digital learning aids.
Teaching & learning
You will develop your writing, speaking, reading and listening skills by studying a wide range of topics.
- Learn about daily life topics and practise your skills in Chinese speaking, reading, listening and writing.
- Explore your hidden potential by learning and practising Chinese symbols associated with images rather than alphabet, producing continuous writing.
- Use the Chinese language accurately to express facts and ideas, and to present explanations, opinions and information in both speech and writing.
- Develop awareness and understanding of the contemporary society, cultural background and heritage of countries and communities where the language is spoken.
- Organise and host Chinese festivals at the College, sharing knowledge of Chinese language and culture with your community.
- Understand written Chinese and develop your ability to transfer meaning from Chinese into English.
Minimum entry requirements
This course is available to native Cantonese and Mandarin speakers.
What can I do with this qualification?
This course will strengthen your understanding of Chinese language, culture and society. In particular, this will be useful in careers related to politics, tourism, business, marketing and hospitality.
I chose Brock because of the wide range of subjects that many sixth forms and other colleges near me don’t offer. What I enjoyed most is making such great friends, especially on my Chinese GCSE course. We all have an amazing bond and thanks to Brock I have some fantastic memories.
Isabel Noche Gosnold
Overall A Level pass rate
Of students gained A* to B
Of students gained A* to C