The CACHE Level 3 Diploma for the Early Years Workforce (Early Years Educator) prepares you to become an Early Years Educator, enabling you to work with children from birth to 5 years and gain knowledge of children aged 5 to 7 years. Upon achievement of this qualification it is intended that you will be able to enter the workforce as an Early Years Educator.
All units are mandatory and are grouped into four themes.
Theme 1: Health and Well Being
- Support healthy lifestyles for children through the provision of food and nutrition
- Promote healthy lifestyles for children through exercise
- Support Children’s physical care routines
- Promote the emotional well-being of children
- Understand how to support children who are unwell
Theme 2: Legislation, Frameworks and Professional Practice
- Understand legislation relating to the safeguarding, protection and welfare of children
- Follow legislation relating to the health and safety of children
- Follow legislation relating to equality, diversity and inclusive practice
- Working in partnership
Theme 3: Play, Development and Learning for School Readiness
- Understand the value of play in early years
- Plan, lead and review play opportunities which support children’s learning and development
- Promote enabling play environments
- Develop children’s emergent literacy skills
- Developing children’s emergent mathematical skills
- Support children’s transition to school
- Develop children’s cognitive skills
- Promote children’s speech, language and communication
- Promote children’s physical development
- Promoting children’s personal, social and emotional development
- Support children with additional needs
- Use observation, assessment and planning to promote the development of children
- Use longitudinal studies to observe, assess and plan for children’s needs
Theme 4: Professional Development
- Engage in professional development
You will be taught using a variety of methods: lecture, whole class discussion, small groupwork, presentations, case studies and scenarios.
Minimum entry requirements
This course requires an interview.
You should be at least 17 years old and be employed in an early years setting for at least 350 hours over the duration of the course i.e. 10 hours per week over 35 weeks. It is recommended that you have at least 25 hours with children aged 0 – 1 years 11 months; 133 hours with 2 – 2years 11 months; and 192 hours with 3 – 5 year olds. Those who work in settings who do not provide care across these three age ranges will need to seek experience in another setting.
This qualification is suitable for a range of learners working in early years education and care.
You will need to have achieved GCSE at Grade C/Grade 4 or above in English Language and Maths if you do not already have these qualifications, and Functional Skills Level 2 ICT.
How will I be assessed?
All units will be internally assessed using a range of methods: direct observation in the worksetting, a portfolio of evidence, assignments and tasks. You must undertake a Longitudinal study set by CACHE. Assessment in the workplace will be undertaken by qualified, occupationally competent Assessors.
Information & support
You will need the support from a qualified and experienced professional in your work setting who will be required to complete professional development records.
You will need to provide files and writing materials. Wordprocessing skills and access to a computer for research and writing is an advantage. You will be expected to make time for private study to complete the qualification which may take up to 18 months.
What can I do with this qualification?
You may progress to an HND or Foundation Degree and then the Top up Degree.