You can explore the key processes that occur in living organisms by taking advantage of this science-based learning opportunity.
As a result, you will develop your scientific thinking, experimental skills and strategies, and your abilities in analysis and evaluation.
You will also expand your scientific vocabulary, and become knowledgeable about quantities, units and symbols.
All this will not only help you build your understanding but will enable you to move forward to further study if you wish.
Why choose Brock for GCSE Biology – Adult?
At Brock we help you do more than simply pass an exam. This course will help you to build a fundamental understanding of Biology by reading, writing and talking, as well as carrying out experiments.
You will learn alongside sixth form students in well-equipped laboratories under the guidance of expert teachers who will nurture your knowledge and abilities.
Teaching & learning
You will learn through a combination of lectures, practical sessions, small group activities and e-learning resources.
There will be two 90-minute taught sessions per week between September and June, resulting in one GCSE science award.
Practical work is of strong significance because success in this area is a key examination board requirement.
- Cell biology
- Infection and response
- Homeostasis and response
- Inheritance, variation and evolution
- Key ideas
How will I be assessed?
- You will be assessed according to two equally-weighted examinations lasting one hour 45 minutes each.
- The papers will be a combination of multiple-choice, structured, closed short answer and open response questions.
Information & support
- You will need to purchase a copy of the course workbook and your stationery (pens, pencils, ruler, calculator, notepaper).
- The College will provide lab coats and safety equipment, practical materials and graph paper.
What can I do with this qualification?
This qualification can form part of your route towards studying Biology or other subjects at A Level.
It will also give you a solid foundation in life sciences that you can apply on related vocational courses such as health and social care programmes.
GCSE Biology can also equip you with important transferable skills in areas such as analysis, data handling, evaluation and reporting