This course offers you the opportunity to develop maths skills that are essential for higher education or gaining employment.
It has been designed for those who wish to achieve a grade 4 (previously grade C) or higher in GCSE Maths.
This course will enable you to achieve a good grasp of basic mathematical concepts and techniques and will support work in a whole range of other courses.
Teaching & learning
You will be taught using the following methods:
- Tutor-led sessions
- Tutorials and discussions
- Individual, paired and group tasks
You will also be required to complete homework outside of your lessons.
The course comprises the following topics:
- Ratio, proportion and rates of change
- Geometry and measures
Minimum entry requirements
- Before joining the course you will be required to attend an assessment session to confirm you are working at levels appropriate for the GCSE.
- If you are not currently working at a level which is suitable for the course, alternative course options such as Functional Skills English, may be offered.
- If you have recently achieved a grade 3 (D) GCSE or a Level 2 Functional Skills qualification, then you may not be required to attend an assessment.
How will I be assessed?
Three examinations, each lasting 1.5 hours:
- Paper 1 - non calculator (50%)
- Paper 2 - calculator paper (25%)
- Paper 3 - calculator paper (25%)
Each paper will consist of a mix of question styles, from short, single-mark questions to multi-step problems.
Information & support
Regular weekly attendance is required, as well as the completion of all homework assignments.
The college has a dedicated Skills Development Team which is available to provide specialised support to students with specific learning difficulties, such as dyslexia or dyspraxia.
What can I do with this qualification?
By the end of the course you will be confident in the use and applications of Maths.
This qualification will create many opportunities for progression, both in terms of a variety of employment sectors and higher education, as well as providing important background to the study of many other subjects.
Successful students can enrol onto GCSE Maths Higher Tier.