Health & Social Care Advanced Apprenticeship
Full Time - September 2017
Training FREE for learners who are 19-23 or below on date of enrolment for the Diploma or Apprenticeship at Level 2 or 3. Also FREE for learners 24+ at date of enrolment for Diploma Level 2 or Apprenticeship at all levels.
Eligibility rules apply to all qualification.
24+ Advanced Learner Loans available.
City & Guilds
This Apprenticeship is for people employed in delivering adult social care to Individuals and covers the following health and social care sectors:
• The National Health Service
• Private Providers – Residential and Domiciliary
• Local Authorities
• Voluntary Organizations
The Care Quality Commission`s Essential Standards of Quality and Safety state that:
“Staff should be able to take part in learning and development so that they can carry out their role effectively.”
The framework contributes towards developing a social care sector with a skilled, flexible and effective workforce whilst maintaining high quality and safe care for those that use the service.
Through completion of this apprenticeship, learners will gain broad-base training in their chosen occupational area.
A good knowledge platform across the sectors enables staff to move between them, by using the appropriate award for continuing professional development and by obtaining qualifications or unit credits relevant to their role.
This Apprenticeship is a QCF Level 3, which comprises of four standalone frameworks and these are as follows:
• Employer Rights and Responsibilities (ERR)
• Level 3 Technical Certificate
• Level 3 Diploma
• Functional Skills to Level 2 Numeracy and Literacy
The framework can be delivered within the workplace it consists of a workbook to gather evidence for the ERR. The technical certificate has nine units which is knowledge based and can be crossed referenced into the nine core units of the level 3 diploma, which is a knowledge and competence based qualification. The Learner will produce a portfolio of evidence to meet performance criteria and demonstrate knowledge in their chosen area. Functional skills at level 2 learners will be provided with workbooks to support them to prepare for the paper based assessment for the numeracy and Literacy where it has been highlighted through their initial assessment. Within the Literacy curriculum it is broken down to speaking and listening and reading and writing. The numeracy includes numbers, measures, shapes and space and handling data.
The Level 3 Diploma in Health & Social Care Adults.
The qualification is made up of nine mandatory and a number of optional units. You will need to achieve a minimum of 58 credits (QCF Framework) to gain the full Diploma.
You will study:
• Promoting communication
• Equality and inclusion
• Personal Development
• Principles of safeguarding and protection
• Supporting health and safety
• Duty of Care
• The Role of the health and social care worker
• Promote person-centred approaches
• Handling information
You will follow an individual pathway and study optional units, which are specific to the area you work within and must reflect your role and responsibilities. The three pathways are Generic, Dementia and Learning Disabilities.
Learners will be allocated a fully qualified assessor who will come out to the workplace or a suitable agreed environment to carry out one-to-one tutorials and observations, during these sessions the assessor will support the learner to:
• Understand the portfolio and layout.
• Open and agree how individual units will be met through assessment planning.
• Carry out observation and practical competence assessments.
• You will receive support and guidance throughout the qualification.
• You will receive feedback on work produced and support to reference your evidence into your portfolio.
• You will be provided with a workbook to meet the requirements of the ERR
• You will be provided with functional skills literacy and numeracy workbooks that will support you to prepare for the paper based assessment. The assessor will support the learner to prepare for the functional skill observation, which involves taking part in a discussion and present information.
• We will be flexible and fit in with the needs of your business and job requirements.
• Your work will be sampled on an ongoing basis by a qualified internal verifier. The external verifier from City & Guilds might also request to see you or your portfolio on one of the annual visits to the centre.
Minimum entry requirements
This award is designed for staff that deliver physical, emotional or enabling care to individuals working in adult health or social care, in the private, public or voluntary sectors. Learners should be working with Individuals and undertake care planning, reviewing and carrying out risk assessment supporting Individuals and staff to work in a person centred way. Working with multidisciplinary teams, making referrals and providing support to other staff members.
Information & support
Please let our staff know if you need any additional support or reasonable adjustments – we will do all we can to help. We can also tailor learning materials to suit particular needs or make a referral to the skills development team at Brockenhurst College.
What can I do with this qualification?
On completion of this programme Learners can progress to:
• Level 5 Diploma in Leadership in Health and Social Care if their job role is sufficient to warrant the extra responsibility of management.
• Apply to undertake nurse training or a number of other related health and social care professions.
There are a number of courses available from Brockenhurst College, please see the adult directory on our web page www.brock.ac.uk or contact Dawn Yau on 01590 625591 to discuss other opportunities within the health and social care sector.
You might like to extend your CPD by undertaking 30-weeks distant learning courses in:
• Level 2 Certificate in The Safe Handling of Medication
• Level 2 Certificate in Mental Health Awareness
• Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Dementia
• Level 2 Certificate in Equality & Diversity
• Level 2 Certificate in End of Life Care
• Level 2 Certificate in Diabetes awareness
• Level 2 Certificate in Infection control