Health & Social Care Higher Apprenticeship
Type: Work Based
Awarding Body: City & Guilds Download/print details
Download PDF application form Enquire
This Level 5 is for those working in a leadership and management role. The national occupational standards have been updated and have replaced and combined the NVQ Level 4 and the NVQ Level 4 Leadership and Management to offer a hybrid qualification. The optional units support a diverse range of Health & Social Care services and the leadership skills required to manage quality services. Learners will be expected to manage their learning and work commitments in order to meet the agreed timescales for achieving this award.
The new combined qualification will have the same mandatory units across what used to be two separate qualifications. There are three optional pathways in adult services offering learners the opportunity to tailor the qualification to their job role:
- Management of Adult Services
- Management of Adult Residential Services
- Advanced Practice in Adult Services
To achieve a Level 5 Diploma or Higher Apprenticeship in Leadership for Health and Social Care Services you will need a total of 80 Credits for the Diploma and 90 Credits for the Higher Apprenticeship which will be gained by demonstrating your skills, knowledge, understanding, care values and attitudes across mandatory and optional units. To undertake the Higher Apprenticeship learners also need to complete Functional Skills in English and Maths or have completed transferable skills in English and Maths in Functional Skills or GCSE (with enhanced functional content) and Key Skills.
The number of credits from mandatory and optional units is as follows:
- Adults Residential Management
- Diploma – Mandatory units 52 credits, optional units 28 credits
- Higher Apprenticeship – Mandatory units 52 credits, optional units 38 credits
- Adults Management
- Diploma – Mandatory units 53 credits, optional units 27 credits
- Higher Apprenticeship – Mandatory units 53 credits, optional units 37 credits
- Adults Advanced Practice
- Diploma – Mandatory units 41 credits, optional unit 39 credits
- Higher Apprenticeship – Mandatory units 41 credits, optional units 49 credits
- Learners on the higher apprenticeship must complete unit 650 and a research project within services for health and social care for unit 543
Course Structure & Teaching Methods
- A fully qualified assessor will visit you to carry out observation and practical competence assessments.
- Support you to understand the portfolio and layout.
- Open and agree how individual units will be met through assessment planning.
- You will receive support and guidance throughout the qualification.
- You will receive feedback on work produced and support to reference your evidence into your portfolio.
- We will be flexible and fit in with the needs of your business and job requirements.
- Your work will be sampled on an ongoing basis by a qualified internal verifier. The external verifier from City & Guilds might also request to see you or your portfolio on one of the annual visits to the centre.
Information & Support
Please let our staff know if you need any additional support or reasonable adjustments – we will do all we can to help. We can also tailor learning materials to suit particular needs or make a referral to the skills development team at Brockenhurst College.
There will be opportunities for progression from the HSC Senior Practitioner to a Management role ensuring no duplication. This qualification is shared between the adults and children's sectors in England.
City & Guilds Professional Diplomas and Certificates in:
- ILM Qualifications in Management level 5
- Social Work Degree
Available Dates and Locations
Please contact us to register your interest for the next available start date.