If you have want to develop your skills in a subject that really interests and inspires you, then think about taking one of our Entry3/Level 1 Vocational courses.
You will study one subject in depth, which will help to increase your confidence, personal skills and your ability to work and achieve your potential.
Subject areas include Hospitality & Catering, Retail, Health & Social Care, Performing Arts, Land-based Studies and Art & Design.
You will also continue to study Maths and English and benefit from Enrichment opportunities.
Why choose Brock for Learning, Employability and Progression?
This learning opportunity is designed to develop your skills in a variety of settings, both on and off our main campus.
Depending on your specialist area, you might find yourself on a farm, a children’s nursery, a shop, a theatre or working in the College café.
Your classes will be small, and you will have highly experienced SEN teachers and Learning Support Assistants to help guarantee your learning and pastoral needs.
Teaching & learning
Teaching and assessment of your subject specialism will be performed through portfolio-building and not exams.
You will take part in a variety of practical activities, along with some written work. Tutor observation, photographs and video recordings will also evidence your work.
You will also have opportunities to go on trips and visits, which will help bring your subject to life.
In addition, you will have the opportunity to learn independent living skills by staying at The Lodge, which is our on-campus dwelling.
1. Developing English and Maths skills.
2. Working towards employment
3. Team working and solving problems
4. Practical activities including working on a farm ,or at Furzey Gardens or as a Barista
5. Independent living skills in our purpose built facility.
6. Personal social development.
Minimum entry requirements
- There are no formal entry requirements for this course.
- You will need to provide an education, health and care plan (EHCP) if applicable.
- You may wish to attend a taster day/session. Please contact the department to arrange this.
How will I be assessed?
- Portfolio building for your main course.
- There may be formal exam assessments for English and Maths.
Information & support
- All Foundation Studies classes are for students with learning differences and/or disabilities.
- In class you will be supported by your tutor and, if necessary, a learning support assistant (LSA).
- The College’s Skills Development Team will be available to provide specialist support to students with specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia and dyspraxia.
- There is a Foundation Studies social space that can be accessed at break time and lunch time, with LSAs on duty. More confident students will be encouraged to access other parts of the College.
- There will be an annual materials fee.
- You may be eligible for assistance with funding. See main website for further information.
- The Travel Team can assist with travel enquiries. You may wish to apply for funding to assist with specialised travel. Please contact the county SEN Travel team for further information.
- If you are aged 16-18 you are entitled to free education. If you are 19-25 you will need to have a current Education, Health and Care Plan to access free education.
- To receive remission you must be on a means-tested benefit.
- You need to bring your EHCP (or draft assessment paperwork) to your interview.
What can I do with this qualification?
Following this two-year Diploma you might wish to progress onto our STTEPs course, or potentially a Level 2 course in the mainstream college depending on your Maths and English levels.
There may be opportunities to progress onto a Traineeship or even an Apprenticeship. This again depends on your attainment in Maths and English. You may also choose to look for work.
Brock has been absolutely brilliant in preparing me for my future, I feel happy and confident. My tutors are all so supportive and there is a really friendly atmosphere.
overall a level pass rate
Of students gained A* to B
Of students gained A* to C