Marine Engineering Advanced Apprenticeship including Technical Certificate
Type: Day Release
Awarding Body: Download/print details
Download PDF application form Enquire
This qualification is appropriate for anyone who is employed with an apprenticeship in the marine industry or as a full time qualification.
You will gain a thorough knowledge of yacht and boat construction, marine engineering or marine electrical depending on your chosen pathway.
This qualification can help you develop the skills for a career in the boatbuilding industry.
Choose one pathway from:
- Diploma in Marine Construction, Systems Engineering and Maintenance (Boatbuilding)
- Diploma in Marine Construction, Systems Engineering and Maintenance (Marine Engineering)
Each pathway is comprised of mandatory and optional units, optional units can be chosen from the following selection:
- Construction and repair of hulls and boat structures (boatbuilding/ship joinery)
- Producing and fitting structural boat components (shipwrighting)
- Establishing reinstatement requirements when servicing, repairing and maintaining boats (shipwrighting/vessel services)
- Fibre reinforced plastics technology for marine construction (boatbuilding/shipwrighting/ship joinery)
- Installation and repair of vessel services (shipwrighting/vessel services)
- Prepare surfaces and marine coatings (marine coatings)
- Apply marine coatings (marine coatings)
- Installation and repair of marine engines (marine engineering)
- Installation and repair of marine propulsion systems (marine engineering)
- Installing electrical wiring support systems on boats (marine electrical)
- Principles of marine electrical engineering (marine electrical)
- Marine electronic systems (marine electrical)
You will learn in the workshop and an appropriately equipped classroom.
Each mandatory unit will be assessed by an online test. For each optional unit there will be one practical and one written exam per unit / one assignment.
There are many progression opportunities open to a successful student. These qualifications can help you to progress in a number of boatbuilding and maintenance roles, including: boat builder; boat fitter; joiner; painter; boat designer; boatyard manager; marine engineer.
Students who are successful may progress onto an NVQ in Team Leadership or BTEC in Yacht Production Technology.