This Diploma is designed for those:
• Assisting with the lifting and/or movement of boats in the marina or boatyard
• Maintaining health and safety in the marina or boatyard
• Providing customer service
• Maintaining security in the marina
• Providing a fuel and pump out facilities
• Preparing boats for lifting and storage
• Moving boats in the boatyard
• Preparing boats for moving
• Cleaning hulls
• Inspecting and maintaining rigging
• Preparing docks and slipways for receiving boats and,
• Maintaining pontoons and general maintenance
The Diploma in Maritime Studies: Marinas and Boatyards is designed with a mix of learning outcomes, some relating to underpinning knowledge, and others to competence. It is also designed to ensure that candidates complete a common core of learning, with additional options to suit the different circumstances of those working in coastal or inland marinas, or in boatyards.
Minimum entry requirements
GCSE Grade C or above for English and Maths
How will I be assessed?
Occupational skills units will be assessed through evidence that the tasks have been undertaken satisfactorily in the workplace or an acceptable simulation, supported by independent oral examination and other acceptable evidence supplied by the learner.
Occupational knowledge units will be assessed through oral and written questioning methods relevant to the needs of the learner on or off-the job.
Underpinning knowledge units will be assessed through oral and written questioning methods relevant to the needs of the learner on or off-the-job.
Information & support
Direct from school or college
Following completion of the Marina Operatives Course
Apprentices must complete or have completed one of the English transferable skills qualifications and one of the Mathematical transferable skills qualifications listed below in order to successfully complete their Apprenticeship and this will carry the QCF five credit values. If they do not have these qualifications as part of their evidence an Apprenticeship certificate cannot be awarded.
What can I do with this Apprenticeship?
Further qualifications after reaching supervisory level endorsed by the British Marine Federation:
- Intermediate Marina Managers Course
- Advanced Marina Managers School
- Certified Marina Operative
- Certified Marina Manager
- Certified Marina Professional