Mathematics A Level Year 2 – Distance Learning with Tutorials
E-Learning - September 2017
There is a cost of £550 to complete this course.
Course fees include one sitting for each A level examination, a minimum of 22 hours group tutorial time, and 4 hours individual support as detailed above.
This course allows students to complete the second year of the GCE A level Mathematics qualification. It has the convenience and flexibility of being delivered mostly by distance learning.
Teaching & learning
Learning will be mostly by student self-study using a dedicated textbook with online support and an extensive range of resources available through the College's virtual learning environment (eBrock).
It is therefore essential to have access to the internet.
Minimum entry requirements
Students will need good independent study skills and to have successfully completed an AS in Mathematics.
How will I be assessed?
The course followed is the AQA A level specification. Students will be entered for the A level examinations in the summer of 2020. This will consist of three 2 hour exams, respectively covering:
- Pure mathematics
- A mixture of pure mathematics and mechanics
- A mixture of pure mathematics and statistics
- The cost of these exam entries is included in the course fees.
There is no coursework component.
Full course details can be found in the Sixth Form area of our website or www.mei.org.uk.
Please note - the specification followed is that which was first taught in 2017-18.
Information & support
- All students are required to attend a two hour group induction workshop.
- There is also a series of ten evening workshops which take two and a half hours each. These workshops will be at 3 – 4 weekly intervals.
- Students will receive a minimum of 4 hours individual support via email, telephone, Skype or face to face.
- Workshops and individual support will be led by an experienced A level Maths tutor.
- Experienced and competent staff at our adult learning centres can help you decide on your course and progression options.
- Practical help and advice is provided to assist students with any kind of disability or individual need, including people for whom English is not their first language. Please contact our centre staff to discuss your needs prior to starting your course.
What can I do with this qualification?
Completion of this course allows progression onto a wide range of careers and entry to degree level courses including Physics, Engineering, Economics, Computer science and Architecture, as well as well as Mathematics itself.
It is also highly desirable for other degree courses such as Chemistry and Economics.
This qualification demonstrates to universities and employers that you have excellent problem solving skills.