Learn practical skills that allow you to work confidently, effectively and independently in life.
Gain the mathematical skills needed to take an active and responsible role in the community, everyday life, the workplace and in educational settings.
Level 2 qualifications can be a requirement for employment and some higher education courses, as well as providing access to GCSE Maths.
You will learn to use and apply mathematics in practical tasks, in real-life problems and within mathematics itself
The focus will be on number, shape, space and measures and handling data.
Level 1 qualifications will include:
- Representing and analysing situations mathematically
- Interpreting solutions to problems using mathematics
- Coverage of mathematical content in number, geometry and statistics
Level 2 qualifications will include Level 1, plus:
- Coverage of mathematical content using algebraic formulae
- Teaching methods include tutor-led sessions and discussions, plus individual, paired and group tasks.
- Where possible, the course will include examples related to your main course to support your learning across the college.
Minimum entry requirements
This qualification is for:
- Students who have not achieved a Grade 4 in Maths GCSE
- Apprentices requiring Functional Skills for their apprenticeship framework
How will I be assessed?
The assessment approach is primarily through a paper-based assessment taken within a controlled environment.
Example examination papers are available on the course e-learning website and on the Edexcel website http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-functional-skills.html
Information & support
In class, you will be supported by the course tutor and, where required, a learning support assistant (LSA).
The college e-learning site provides additional information and learning resources and is accessible both inside and outside the college.
In addition, our Skills Development Team will be available to provide specialist support to students with specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia and dyspraxia.
Further information on this qualification is available via the Edexcel/Pearson website at:
- Edexcel Website: http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-functional-skills/About.html
- Edexcel Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/EdexcelStudents
What can I do with this qualification?
Maths Functional Skills qualifications will improve your skills in day to day life and can be a requirement for further/higher education or employment.
By passing Level 1, this will allow progression to Level 2 Functional Skills. Achieving the Level 2 qualification will enable progression to GSCE Maths.
Brock has been absolutely brilliant in preparing me for my future, I feel happy and confident. My tutors are all so supportive and there is a really friendly atmosphere.
overall a level pass rate
Of students gained A* to B
Of students gained A* to C