This qualification is for licensed Hackney carriage and private hire drivers. The course aims to improve skills, knowledge and overall performance of individuals who are employed to provide a passenger transport service by road.
This programme comprises eight mandatory units plus at least three optional units. Unit choices will be tailored to the specific employment area in which you work.
- Ensure health and safety of the taxi and private hire driver and passengers
- Drive a taxi or private hire vehicle in a professional manner
- Provide professional customer service in the taxi and private hire industries
- Provide a safe and legal vehicle for transporting passengers by taxi and /or private hire
- Provide a transport service in the taxi and private hire vehicle industries for customers who require assistance
- Provide a service to customers using a wheelchair in an assessable taxi or private hire vehicle
- Transport parcels, luggage and other items in the taxi and private hire industries
- Transport children and young persons by taxi, private hire or chauffeuring
- Carry fare paying passengers within the framework of the private hire industry
- Carry fare paying passengers within the regulatory framework of the taxi industry
- Process fares and charges for private hire passengers
- Process fares and charges for taxi passengers
- Plan routes in the taxi and private hire industries
- Develop and maintain work skills and knowledge in the chauffeur, taxi and private hire industries
- Manage and administer small businesses in the taxi or private hire industries
- Process telephone bookings in the road passenger transport industry
How will I be assessed?
Initially you will be required to take part in a group workshop alongside other drivers. You will then be allocated an assessor who will work with you, undertake a practical in-car assessment and guide you through your NVQ folder.
Learning materials specifically designed for the course will be supplied for you to work through both on your own and with the support/guidance of your assessor. Importantly, you will receive detailed feedback.
Course fees & Duration
Free for eligible candidates - Up to 1 year course (part time)