Sector-Based Work Academy Programmes (SWAPs)
Please contact us to register your interest for the next available start date. Message
Sector-Based Work Academy Programmes (SWAPs) are government initiatives designed to help employers create a skilled workforce. SWAPs prepare those claiming unemployment benefits to apply for jobs in a new area of work.
Course Structure & Teaching Methods
SWAPs include three main components:
- Pre-employment training
- Work experience placement
- A job interview
Information & support
- Must have ID (Passport / Driving licence / Birth certificate).
- Must be unemployed and claiming benefits (JSA / ESA / UC / IS).
- Must be 19+ (at the start of the academic year).
Available dates and locations
Please ask your work coach or job advisor about any SWAPs currently available.
Southampton Construction SWAP (in collaboration with Southampton City Council)
This programme provides opportunities for people who are looking for work in the construction industry. The course assists learners to gain employability skills along with sector specific qualifications, including:
- SCS test and card
- Awareness qualifications for manual handling, asbestos and working at heights among others.
- Work experience on a construction site in Southampton.
- Additional support to find work.
Technical Construction Skills (with Hampshire County Council)
Technical Construction Skills for the Unemployed offers training courses across the Enterprise M3 LEP area in north Hampshire and Surrey. Courses take place in Winchester and Andover.
This free training is for anyone who wants to get into the construction industry. Importantly, learners will receive support accessing employers’ opportunities and work experience opportunities.
For further help, please email email@example.com