Gain the knowledge and skills needed to work directly with children or young people in the school environment with this Level 3 qualification.
As a learner you will select a range of units based around your job role within the school environment.
- Understand child and young person development
- Understand how to safeguard the wellbeing of children and young people
- Communication and professional relationships with children and young people
- Schools as organisations
- Support learning activities
- Promote children and young people's positive behaviour
- Develop professional relationships with children, young people and adults
- Promote equality, diversity and inclusion in work with children and young people
- Support assessment for learning
- Engage in personal development in health, social care or children's and young people's settings
- Support children and young people's health and safety
Teaching & learning
You will be taught through a variety of methods including:
- Group and individual work
Minimum entry requirements
- It is recommended that you are employed in a school envionment in order to show competence in both knowledge and skills to support your coursework.
- If you are volunteeting within a school environment, then you will need to have substantial hours and full support from the school. This is to ensure you are demonstrating a degree of independence and responsibility.
- Good skills in Maths and English are essential for those working in an educational environment, so learners may undertake Functional Skills as part of their programme if necessary.
How will I be assessed?
Methods of assessment could include:
- Professional discussion
- Reflection on own practice in real work situations
- Learner's own plans and written records
Skills and knowledge that reflect good practice will be assessed through observation in the workplace and a portfolio of written evidence.
Information & support
You will need to purchase your own stationery during the course of your qualification. This includes a ring binder and dividers, A4 paper and pens.
You will also require access to the internet.
Course fees & Duration
There is a course cost of £2,225.
This course is eligible for an Advanced Learning Loan from the Student Loans Company. For more information please visit: www.gov.uk/advanced-learning-loans .
What can I do with this qualification?
Qualifications gained from this course:
- Level 3 Diploma in Specialist Support for Teaching and Learning in Schools (QCF) - Council for Awards in Care, Health and Education (CACHE); a specialist Awarding Organisation for the Care and Education Sector
- Functional Skills, if applicable, in English and Maths.
Upon successful completion and providing you have sufficient experience in the workplace, you may consider progression to HLTA or a Foundation Degree.