You will learn the skills needed to communicate confidently, effectively and independently.
This course supports the practical development of your English skills enabling you to gain the most out of your work, education and day to day life.
During the course you will focus on reading, writing, speaking and listening.
Level 2 Functional Skills qualifications can be a requirement for work or further education and can be used in preparation for a GCSE course.
Information & support
Prior to starting on a course you will be asked to attend an enrolment / assessment session. This will give an indication of your current level of English, and subsequently, the qualification in which you will work towards.
All classes run from September through to the following June, although it may be possible to join part way through a course.
You will be required to attend on a weekly basis.
Students with any kind of disability and/or learning difference may be referred to the Skills Development Team within the college for further support.
In addition, you will have access to the college e-learning site, which offers resources and support in or out of college.
Minimum entry requirements
These qualifications are for those students who have not previously achieved a Grade C / 4 in English GCSE.
The emphasis of teaching is on improving practical communication skills that you already have so that you can gain the most from life, learning and work.
The context for learning is a range of real life scenarios such as reading and writing instructions, articles, letters, e-mails and job applications.
The course will also cover practical strategies to revise and improve spelling, punctuation and grammar.
We aim to ensure that each individual is able to communicate effectively and develop skills in speaking and listening, reading and writing.
Within a Level 1 qualification you will:
- Take part in formal and informal discussions and exchanges that include unfamiliar subjects
- Read and understand a range of straightforward texts
- Write a range of texts to communicate information, ideas and opinions, using formats and styles suitable for their purpose and audience
Within a Level 2 qualification you will:
- Make a range of contributions to discussions in a range of contexts, including those that are unfamiliar, and make effective presentations
- Select, read, understand and compare texts and use them to gather information, ideas, arguments and opinions
- Write a range of texts, including extended written documents, communicating information, ideas and opinions, effectively and persuasively
Teaching methods include tutor-led sessions and discussions, plus individual, paired and group tasks.
What can I do with this qualification?
English Functional Skills qualifications will improve your skills in day to day life and can be a requirement for further/higher education or employment.
Entry Levels will enable progression to Level 1 Functional Skills.
Level 1 will enable progression to Level 2 Functional Skills.
Level 2 will enable progression to GCSE English.
Dates & Locations
LocationBrockenhurst College - Main Site
Date & time
11/09/2023 to 01/07/2024