Professional Chef’s Level 2 Diploma in Cookery, Food & Beverage Service

Professional Chef’s Level 2 Diploma in Cookery, Food & Beverage Service

Start date

Brockenhurst College - Main Site

Awarding body
City & Guilds


Apply now

Course introduction

If you want to develop your practical skills and related theory in the areas of professional cookery and food service, then this is the course for you.

As a student you will regularly cook dishes and serve them to members of the public in our training restaurant. This hands-on experience will help you refine your skills and grow in confidence.

You will also cover all aspects of health and hygiene, safety, communication with others, and a wide variety of craft units in restaurant and bar work. 

As well as providing a vocation, the ability to cook well is a valuable personal skill that will benefit you, your family and your friends throughout your life.

Why choose
Professional Chef’s Level 2 Diploma in Cookery, Food & Beverage Service?

At Brock we are fortunate to have our own restaurant on campus that hosts paying customers. MJ’s, as it is known, has attracted diners for more than 20 years and has given thousands of budding cookery professionals their first taste of success.

We also have highly-experienced teachers who know exactly what it takes to perform well in the food and drink business. In addition, we have excellent links with local employers, which will help you secure additional work experience opportunities.

Teaching & learning

You will spend 80% of your time undertaking practical tasks and the remaining 20% in the classroom learning theory.

From the outset you will learn from a specialist subject tutor. You will also have the opportunity to enter the College’s annual Salon Culinaire event, which is run by the Craft Guild of Chefs.

Furthermore, you will have opportunities to meet and learn from guest chefs who regularly visit the College to arrange evenings of fine dining.

Minimum entry requirements

Successful completion of Professional Cookery Food and Beverage Level 1 plus completing qualifications alongside or relevant English and Maths.

You will be asked to attend an interview where we will assess your suitability to join the programme.

Course structure

  • Obtain an introduction into the hospitality industry and the opportunities available both locally and nationally.
  • Learn how to use professional equipment to produce a variety of dishes using a range of cooking methods.
  • Become able to identify and use a wide range of commodities in a professional working kitchen to produce traditional and contemporary dishes.
  • Develop core practical skills in both food preparation and cooking, and food and beverage service, in a realistic working environment.
  • Acquire a sense of responsibility, helping you work as part of a team in both the kitchen and front of house.
  • Improve your social skills and develop an awareness of the importance of customer care in the hospitality industry.

What can I do with this qualification?

Employment prospects are excellent for students who are prepared to work hard. You can go straight into a job, find and apprenticeship, or opt to undertake higher level study.

Past students have gained employment at prestigious dining establishments such as the Grand Hotel Amsterdam, De-Vere Grand Harbour, Chewton Glen, and Raymond Blancs' Le Manoir Quat Saisons.

Dates & Locations





LocationBrockenhurst College - Main Site

Date & time 27/06/2024 to 31/07/2025

Want to know more about this course?