Your Freshers Bitesize session is a prime opportunity to gather information and gain a sense of orientation. You will be able to meet one of our tutors, get your bearings and tour the campus. Importantly, we will answer any questions you may have.
You can also benefit from a host of useful Freshers Bitesize content online. This will include curriculum introductions, subject tasters and information about our services. As a result, you can get to know your subjects and discover more about the support we provide. In addition, you can access course content designed to give you a head start.
Frequently Asked Questions
What to do when you arrive
Brockenhurst Campus – Please go straight to the Main Reception, where you will be met by Tracey Miller and her team. You will be taken to meet your dedicated Learning Support Assistant who will take you to your welcome tutor room.
Please make sure you arrive on campus 20 minutes before your scheduled start time. This will provide enough time for you to register and meet the team before your welcome tutor session starts.
How do I get to and from Brock?
Travel by car:
We find a lot of students are picked-up and/or dropped-off by a parent or relative for our Freshers events, and we would recommend this if it is possible. There will be a large drop-off and pick-up area available during the events to make this easy. We ask respectfully that parents do not remain on campus during the day.
For full details on travel, including bus routes and times to main site, please see our travel webpage at: https://www.brock.ac.uk/sixth-form/travelling-to-brock/
Travel by train:
The College is only a few minutes’ walk from Brockenhurst train station. Please make sure you have a valid ticket.
Travel by bus:
We will be operating FREE college bus services as normal during Freshers Bitesize. All services will run at the beginning and at the end of the day. We have also arranged for the bus company to provide additional services on our most popular routes, both in and out of campus. These will arrive for 12-noon and will leave at 12:30pm.
It is possible to get the bus service one-way. Therefore, if you would like to try out your journey but avoid a long wait, you might want to see if a relative can pick you up or drop you off for one leg of your journey.
Remember: It is a legal requirement that you wear a face covering when travelling on public transport. This includes the college bus services, which are classed as public services.
What else can I do?
- Buy a drink and/or snack from the Hard Brock Café.
- Sit outside and soak up the campus atmosphere.
- Use our Learning Resources Centre computers to explore your course introduction content.
- Visit Student Services who will be able to help you with any queries.
- Explore the local area and Brockenhurst village.
Your safety and the safety of our staff is our top priority. Therefore, if you are planning to attend a session, we would ask you to follow our COVID-19 safety procedures as follows:
- You MUST observe social distancing at all times when on campus.
- You should complete a lateral flow test a maximum of 48 hours beforehand.
- If you do not have access to a lateral flow test, please call us on 01590 625555 and we will send a test kit out to you. Alternatively, you can pick up a kit locally from a testing centre. To find your nearest pick-up point, click: https://www.gov.uk/find-covid-19-lateral-flow-test-site
- Naturally, if you test positive, you should NOT attend the event, and should follow the latest government guidelines regarding self-isolation and confirmatory tests.
- We will ask you to wear face coverings at all times when inside buildings and closed communal areas. Tutors may, at their discretion, allow you to remove face coverings in the classroom. If you are exempt from wearing a face covering, it is important that we know you are exempt before you arrive. If this is you, please call Student Services on 01590 625555 to let them know.
- Contact tracing will be in place to enable us to track and manage close contacts should a positive test be reported to us after the event. If you test positive, you should take a follow-up lateral flow test 48 hours later. If you receive another positive result, please contact us immediately on 01590 625503. This is so we can implement our track-and-trace procedures. You should also follow government guidelines on follow-up PCR tests and self-isolation.
Other safety measures
There are a few other things we thought you should know to help keep you safe when you visit us. You will probably be familiar with some of these measures from school:
- We will be limiting the tutor group sizes to a maximum of 20 to ensure adequate space in classrooms.
- Within buildings and around the site we have a ‘system of controls’ in place. This means rooms will have plenty of ventilation and will be laid out to minimise any risk of transmission. We will also ask you to sanitise your hands on entering and leaving classrooms.
- The Hard Brock Café based on the Brockenhurst Campus will be open for takeaway service and there will be an open-air pop-up café on the Staff Lawn.
What should I wear?
You can wear what you like at College as long as you are suitably covered and what you wear is not offensive to others. However, if your programme includes sport, exercise, fitness or performing arts, please bring appropriate clothing and footwear.
Help on the day
If you have any questions on the day, or you need to find a room, just ask one of our Student Ambassadors to point you in the right direction.
Discover the facilities we have to offer ahead of your session and where you need to go to register thanks to our Virtual Campus page.