The majority of university courses look for at least a grade 4 in GCSE English, maths and perhaps science. Some university courses go further and ask for specific subjects at GCSE, with certain grades.
GCSE grading system
We should now be seeing grades 9 to 1, instead of A* to G.
It is worth noting the following:
- Students will not lose out as a result of the changes.
- The same proportion of students will achieve grade 7 and above as currently achieve grade A and above.
- The bottom of grade 1 will be aligned with the bottom of grade G.
- Grade 5 will be awarded to around the top third of students gaining the equivalent of a grade C and the bottom third of a grade B. This has been defined as good pass by the department for education.
- All GCSE results are now awarded using the new system.
How to apply for Sixth Form courses
Find out about how to apply for Sixth Form courses by clicking the button below.