Our Hockey Academy follows a training and playing schedule based on the England Hockey long-term development programme.
This means you can benefit from the latest training and performance know-how to improve your playing ability.
We run three Hockey teams: men’s, women’s and mixed.
In addition, we are the only College in Hampshire with a full-sized AstroTurf and warm-up pitch on campus.
Contact us now if you would like to join the Hockey Academy.
More about Hockey
What are the benefits?
Our Hockey Academy is the ideal platform for aspiring athletes to benefit from outstanding coaching delivered by highly qualified and experienced coaches.
As a Hockey Academy player you will benefit from our links with local hockey clubs such as those in Bournemouth and Southampton, giving you the chance to meet and mix with other talented players.
What about facilities?
You will train on campus using our full-sized AstroTurf and warm up pitch.
You will also have access to the following facilities:
- Fully equipped gym and fitness studio.
- Twenty-five acres of playing fields.
- Purpose-built changing facilities.
- Sports Hall with basketball, badminton, tennis, netball and volleyball court.
- Floodlit all-weather courts for netball and tennis.
- Grass pitches for football, rugby, hockey and lacrosse.
Will I compete?
All Academies compete in competitions throughout the season.
These include county, regional and national competitions such as Hampshire Schools and Colleges leagues and cups, British Colleges Sport leagues and tournaments, and other nationwide cup competitions.
There is also a full range of competitive opportunities for you to achieve county, regional and national call-ups within your sport. This includes opportunities with British Colleges Sport and national governing bodies’ talent identification systems.
Are there fees?
All costs will be kept at a minimum. However, we charge a £75 joining fee that covers spend associated with league entries, referees, match fees, transport, insurance and pitch hire. You will also need to purchase a special Academy kit.
Are there entry requirements?
To join one of our academies you will need:
- A good level of playing experience in your chosen sport.
- A willingness to learn and develop.
- To be 16 -19 years old.
- A place studying a course at Brockenhurst College. You do not have to be studying a sport related programme to be a member of a Sports Academy.
Why join the academy?
- Each squad has the opportunity to train during the week and play fixtures on Wednesday afternoons in various county, regional and national competitions.
- The programme is specifically structured to develop your ability and role within the team.
- We focus on technical skills, attacking plays, defensive plays, set pieces and tactics.
- Our aim is for you to go on to play Hockey at University and/or for local clubs. However, if you are aiming even higher, then don’t worry, we will support you all the way.
- Our players play throughout Hampshire and Dorset, which means we have strong links with local clubs such as New Forest, Wimborne, Bournemouth, Romsey and Southampton.
Each year we hold trials where you can discover more about our academies and how you can take part in sport alongside your studies.
The Sports Academy system is open to all Brock students. Importantly, we expect entrants to have a solid background of playing experience and show full commitment to the team, as well as determination to improve.
Contact us now to register your interest in joining a Sport Academy.
Find out more about the Sports Academy at one of our Open Events.