RMT strike action on South West Trains
The RMT union is planning 27 days of strike action during December commencing on Monday 2nd December.
The strike action may affect students’ journeys to and from College during the remaining weeks of the Autumn term.
We hope the information on this page will be useful and that it will help to minimise any disruption that your son or daughter may experience travelling to and from College.
College opening and classes
- The College will be open as usual until the end of term on Wednesday 18 December 2019.
- All classes will run, and students are expected to attend all classes as usual.
Getting to and from College
- Rail services may vary on a daily basis and so we would advise checking the south-west trains website https://www.southwesternrailway.com/plan-my-journey/rmt-industrial-action or their twitter feed @SW_help for the most up to date information available.
- At the time of publishing this web page (Friday 29 November 11am) indications are that around 50% of services will be running, and the most commonly used services by our learners are likely to remain in place but running at slightly different times and with some missing stops.
- A download of the timetables for the Weymouth to Waterloo line services during the strike action can be found here: https://www.southwesternrailway.com/~/media/files/plan-my-journey/rmt-strikes/december-2019/monday-to-friday-timetables/weymouth.pdf?la=en
- As an alternative, students may access the College bus services to travel to and from College if applicable. We have network of 14 buses that travel throughout the area which may help students get to and from College.
Please note that unfortunately possession of a rail pass or ticket does not entitle students to travel on the College buses free of charge and they will need to pay a fare for travel on these services on a journey by journey basis directly to the driver of the bus. This is due to contractual arrangements with the bus company.
- Full details of the bus routes can be found in the travel section of our website here: https://www.brock.ac.uk/sixth-form/travelling-to-brock/
About the RMT strike action
- The strike action is due to start on Monday 2 December and run through to Wednesday 11 December, and then from 13 December until 24.
- Note there is no strike action on the day of the general election, Thursday 12 December.
- The strike action may change or cease during this period. For the most up to date news regarding changes to services please see the South-West railway website: https://www.southwesternrailway.com/plan-my-journey/rmt-industrial-action
- In the event that the strike action prevents College attendance, please ensure absence is reported through to the College absence line on 01590 625530 or via email to email@example.com so this can be validated.
- Our teaching staff have been asked to ensure that all students have a clear understanding of the work that they need to be completing if absent and that all resources are placed on the College’s e-learning system e.brock so that students are able to access their work in the event of absence.