Being competent and confident in all areas of sound, light and stage is effectively a backstage pass to the world of performing arts.
From lighting design and set logistics to running the front of house and creating props, you will have considerable responsibility in making sure the show always goes on.
This course is your ideal introduction into the world of working behind the scenes in show business.
Importantly, you will acquire a lot of knowledge and skills that go a long way to relieving any pressure you might feel. In fact, the only thing you should feel is the buzz of a job well done.
Why choose Brock for Performing Arts Sound Light and Stage Level 2 Diploma?
At Brock we are fortunate to have a Performing Arts department with excellent facilities.
You will benefit from two studio theatres, a large performance space, four sound studios, two sprung dance studios, three rehearsal studios, props and costume areas, two Mac suites, and two lighting and sound gantries.
Also, your teachers will regularly bring professional performance companies into the College to run workshops and give performances.
Teaching & learning
This course is all about putting on your black clothes, getting embedded in the theatre community and experiencing the backstage world.
When not working on a performance you will be planning, designing and making plans for your next stage production.
Throughout the course you will visit various theatres to watch shows. You will also have opportunities to tour backstage areas, as well as visit local rigging designers and manufacturers to discover how things work and how technical advances are made.
- Assist with the running of a live performance, giving you the hands-on experience you will need to enter the industry.
- Contribute to the technical production of a live performance in order to gain hands-on experience.
- Participate in key aspects of assembling and disassembling a sophisticated stage production.
- Gain an important awareness of fundamental health and safety issues, which any prospective employer will want to see.
- Learn about effective customer service in order to deliver on your briefs effectively.
Minimum entry requirements
Four GCSEs grade D or grade 3 to include:
- Performing arts subject (preferable)
- BTEC Foundation Certificate in a related subject Merit or Distinction if taken
An interest in all aspects of performing arts or possibly related work experience. Well motivated, enthusiasticand able to work as a member of a team.
What can I do with this qualification?
This qualification is the perfect springboard for gaining employment or an apprenticeship working backstage in a theatre or similar performance space.
It is also the ideal preparation for a Level 3 qualification in a related area, which can in turn lead to higher education in the form of a degree or HND course.
I joined the Hockey Academy because I love hockey wanted to carry it on through my college life, the training at Brockenhurst is great and everybody is so fun to be around, train alongside and be on a team with.
Overall A Level pass rate
Of students gained A* to B
Of students gained A* to C