You can build your confidence in applied mathematics in preparation for a career in areas such as science, technology, business or finance, by studying this Level 3 qualification.
Core Maths is a rigorous academic subject that many people choose to experience a sense of challenge and satisfaction.
It also represents a means to develop your mathematical skills post GCSE in an applied way that will support you in your other subjects.
These skills can provide a foundation for subsequent study at university and continued endeavour in your professional life.
Mathematics (Core) Level 3 Certificate (AS Level equivalent)?
At Brock we have a team of highly experienced teachers who specialise in teaching Level 3 Core Maths.
Your lessons will take place in dedicated, high quality maths teaching rooms inside our new state-of-the-art STEM building.
These rooms include a range of traditional and high-tech teaching and learning technologies to support you.
If you need extra help or you want to push yourself further, you can attend extra workshops and/or use our quiet study area.
Teaching & learning
Topics include finance, cost benefit analysis and critical path analysis.
Among other things, you will learn to use spreadsheets and computer programs to analyse data and make decisions.
In addition to regular classroom sessions, we give you opportunities for support and enrichment. For example, we arrange trips to central London and elsewhere for maths talks by leading researchers.
Information & support
This course is usually studied alongside a programme of three A Levels (or equivalent) or an Extended Diploma
Minimum entry requirements
Five GCSEs at grade 4 and above with a minimum average GCSE score of 4.0, including:
- English Language
- Work on problems where there is not always a definite answer, developing insights into the pros and cons of different solutions.
- Explore the relationships between different sets of data using scatter diagrams and calculations of correlation.
- Use real data to learn about and analyse statistical techniques, giving you hands-on experience.
- Learn about practical aspects of maths, including those related to income tax and National Insurance.
- Investigate how to make sound financial decisions by calculating the best deals based on rates of interest.
- Acquire skills in applied techniques like critical path analysis and cost benefit analysis, which companies use to save time and money.
What can I do with this qualification?
This course will help you develop your mathematical understanding and skills. This development can support other Level 3 courses and also help you prepare for university.
Importantly, Core Maths will help you build your confidence in performing calculations and solving real-world problems.
It is worth the same number of UCAS points as an AS Level.
Dates & Locations
LocationBrockenhurst College - Main Site
Date & time
09/09/2024 to 31/07/2025
I’d like to work in marketing in the future, which will involve handling diverse data in high volumes. I’ll also need to be skilled at interpreting the data to draw accurate conclusions. This makes Core Maths the ideal subject to take in conjunction with my Psychology A Level. At my Brock interview we discussed in detail how to create a Study Programme of complementary subjects in order to target a specific career.Mathematics (Core) Level 3 (Equivalent to one AS Level)