This training programme leads to a nationally-recognised certificate of competence for driving a minibus, which lasts for four years. Importantly, options are available for both standard and specially-accessible vehicles.
The course provides:
- Assessment of your driving against recognised standards.
- A qualification recognised nationally by other MiDAS members.
- Benefits that can transfer to your personal motoring.
Hampshire County Council policy stipulates that all those driving or operating minibuses on council business should be trained to MiDAS standards.
The training is available to all schools, colleges, voluntary organisations and council departments using minibuses in Hampshire, Portsmouth and Southampton.
Standard Training – £90 for commercial organisations, schools/colleges etc or £75 for voluntary organisations/charities.
Accessible Training (for vehciles that carry wheelchairs) – £125 for commercial organisations, schools/colleges etc or £110 for voluntary organisations/charities.
Refresher Training – £75 for commercial organisations, schools/colleges etc or £60 for voluntary organisations/charities.
Refresher Accessible – £75 for commercial organisations, schools/colleges etc or £60 for voluntary organisations/charities.
As a candidate you must complete the standard module. The accessibility module may be studied in addition.
- You will be trained on all minibus equipment, safety issues and minibus law.
- A practical driving session will be included in the training to improve and develop driving skills.
You will be assessed to ensure safe driving standards through a theory test and a practical driving skills assessment.
Two-module option – Standard and Accessible
A two-module option is available, which covers minibuses with a capacity of up to 17 passengers.
This option comprises:
- The Standard module, which involves a one-day course for non-accessible minibuses – i.e. those not fitted with any passenger lifting equipment.
- The Accessible module, which involves a one-and-a-half-day course for minibuses fitted with passenger lifting equipment for wheelchair users.