Photography A Level
Full Time - September 2023
Photography allows you to capture a moment and keep it forever – it’s like a mirror with a memory.
If you have a serious interest in photography and want to develop your essential knowledge and skills, then this is definitely the course for you.
This subject combines elements of culture and communication with technical knowhow, enabling you to occupy the horizon between art and science.
As a student you will think hard about your compositions in order to convey your own unique view of the world.
We also expect you to have a lot of fun as you experiment with different equipment and techniques.
Why choose Brock for Photography A Level?
At Brock we give you industry standard photographic facilities and teachers who have solid professional and academic backgrounds in their subject. In fact, one staff member is an exam board moderator.
Throughout the year you have opportunities to go ‘on location’ thanks to various fieldtrips. Recent destinations have included Iceland, Italy and Spain.
The College also has links to the Royal Photographic Society and puts on a public exhibition of students’ best work each summer.
Teaching & learning
This learning opportunity is designed to be an ideal balance of theory and practice, giving you everything you need to build an impressive portfolio.
In class you will work on important areas including lighting techniques, darkroom manipulation and software use. In addition, you will benefit from a programme of creative and technical workshops.
All teaching will be supported by a wealth of structured resources that are instantly available through the eBrock web portal.
- Receive dedicated support from day one, helping you develop your camera control.
- Express yourself by using camera techniques to realise your artistic visions.
- Research the work of different artists and photographers, helping you find inspiration.
- Explore various means of visual representation such as black and white printing, digital imagery and mixed media.
- Develop your visual communication and evidence your progress through practical assignments.
- Experiment with photo manipulation techniques using industry standard equipment and software.
Minimum entry requirements
Five GCSEs at grade 4 and above to include:
- English Language
- Art and Design or another art related subject is an advantage but not essential.
Information & support
There are a number of costs associated with this course:
- A studio fee of £25.00 per year.
- The price of photographic materials, sketchbooks, and IT portable storage formats such as USB memory sticks.
What can I do with this qualification?
A Level Photography can form part of your route into university or into an arts-based apprenticeship.
By the end of the course you should feel confident in managing your future development as a photographer.
You should also feel competent enough to undertake freelance photographic assignments and promote your work and services online.
Past students have progressed to working in a range of visual arts areas such as photography, graphic design, fashion, web design and TV/film.
Other courses of interest
Brock has been absolutely brilliant in preparing me for my future, I feel happy and confident. My tutors are all so supportive and there is a really friendly atmosphere.
overall a level pass rate
Of students gained A* to B
Of students gained A* to C
Pass rates above are for students who joined us with an average of grade 6 or above at GCSE. Results are across all A Levels.
Bursaries Travel Campus FAQ Support