High-achieving Brockenhurst College students were recognised and celebrated recently during a packed Gala Awards ceremony at the College.
More than 150 guests sat around dining tables in the main hall for the evening event that saw 37 awards presented for excellence in learning or significant contributions to the college community.
Zac Anderson from Salisbury won the night’s most anticipated award for Student of the Year (Sponsored by St Edmund Hall, Oxford University, which he earned through his outstanding academic performance.
He achieved three A*s in A Level Philosophy, English Literature and Film Studies, and is about to begin studying English at University College London.
Zac said afterwards: “Following my GCSEs I would never have predicted that two college years was going to change me this much.
“My plans for the future and my own sense of self were radically altered by this new environment that encouraged me to be both academically ambitious and personally creative.
“I am indebted to my wonderful friends and excellent teachers, in particular Sam Christmas, whose dedicated work made A Level Philosophy so transformative.”
The Sports Student of the Year Award, sponsored by Bournemouth University, went to keen cyclist Lucy Gadd, who this year competed in the Asda Tour de Yorkshire Women’s Race.
She is now poised to begin studying for a Psychology degree at the University of Southampton.
Lucy said: “I was very excited to receive the Sports Student of the Year award because balancing my academic studies with my training and racing programme was really tough. I’m happy I stuck at it and I’m so glad it paid off.”
Meanwhile, the Teacher of the Year award, voted for by the Students’ Union, went to Biology lecturer Rachel Fowkes.
As well as students and staff, the event was attended by parents, supporters and sponsors, and began with a drinks reception.
Guests were then served a two-course meal prepared by students from the College’s fine-dining restaurant, known as MJ’s.
Principal Di Roberts CBE said: “This awards ceremony is an important date in our calendar that enables us to reflect upon and celebrate students’ outstanding achievements.
“Their success is testament to the hard work of teachers and the longstanding investment in facilities that make Brockenhurst College a solid package to enable students to achieve highly,” she added.
Award sponsors comprised: Bournemouth University, Arts University Bournemouth, SportBU, Morgan Hunt, St Edmund Hall University of Oxford, Chewton Glen, Exxon Mobil Esso, PEDALL New Forest Inclusive Cycling, Doughty Engineering Ltd, Geo Specialty Chemicals, John & Marion Greenwood and The Family of Kevin Wykes.
Full list of winners:
- Access to Higher Education Student of the Year – Joe Bell, Sponsored by Bournemouth University
- Vocational Creative Arts and Media Student of the Year – Georgia Sellenthin, Sponsored by Arts University Bournemouth
- A Level Art, Design and Photomedia Student of the Year – Bethany Bromley, Sponsored by Arts University Bournemouth
- Computer Science, IT and Vocational Business Student of the Year – Will Pitman, Sponsored by Morgan Hunt
- Construction Student of the Year – Owen Kane
- Early Childhood and Health Student of the Year – Kaycee Hawkins
- Engineering Student of the Year – Elliott Smith, Sponsored by The Family of Kevin Wykes
- English Student of the Year – Katie-Ann Miles
- Enrichment Student of the Year – William Warwick
- EPQ Student of the Year – Carlo Cousins, Sponsored by Geo Specialty Chemicals
- Foundation Studies Student of the Year – Amy Cole, Sponsored by PEDALL New Forest Inclusive Cycling
- Functional Skills Student of the Year – Kate Pike
- Humanities and Modern Foreign Languages Student of the Year – Lizzie Dawe
- Higher Education Student of the year – Sam Youren
- International Student of the Year – Angel Zheng
- Marine Engineering Student of the Year – Matthew Snushall
- Mathematics Student of the Year – Annabelle Pointer Sponsored by Geo Specialty Chemicals
- PACE Student of the Year – Ciaran Gallen
- Performing Arts and Music Student of the Year – Sarah Mantell, Sponsored by Doughty Engineering Ltd
- Science Student of the Year – Elizabeth Devane, Sponsored by Geo Specialty Chemicals
- Service Industries Student of the year – Chloe Holliday
- Social Sciences & Business Student of the year – Jack Searle
- Sport Student of the Year – Lucy Gadd, Sponsored by SportBU
- Student Ambassador of the Year – Hannah Powis, Sponsored by Chewton Glen
- Students’ Union Representative of the Year – Laura Whitcher
- Employer of the Year – Atlas Contract Furniture
- Brockenhurst College Apprentice of the Year – Abigail Bedford, Sponsored by Exxon Mobil
- Brockenhurst College Student of the Year – Zac Anderson, Sponsored by St Edmund Hall, Oxford University
- Professional Services Staff Member of the Year – Sue Szabados
- Community Teacher of the Year – Clare Andreotti
- Sixth Form Teacher of the Year – Rachael Fowkes
- Greenwood Bursary – Josh Carter
- Emily Longley Memorial Award – Lily-May Biles
- Paul White Memorial Cup – Charlie Williams
- Chris Campbell Memorial Prize – James Bennie
- Robert Jones Memorial Award – Reece Roberts
- Nathan Ridler Memorial Award – Robyn Coleshill
- Lesley Errington Trust Award – Charlotte Jones