Mathematics is an important subject that underpins many human endeavours, including: science, technology, business and finance.
As a result, an A Level in Maths provides you with a highly regarded qualification that can support you in further study or employment.
On this course you will have a chance to study both pure and applied maths.
The focus of pure maths is very much on problem solving. Many students enjoy the challenge of solving pure maths problems and the satisfaction of finding a precise solution.
Meanwhile, applied maths will give you a taste for how mathematics is used in understanding and modelling the real world.
Why choose Brock for Mathematics A Level?
At Brock we have a team of highly experienced and dedicated teachers who specialise in teaching A Level Maths and Further Maths.
You will learn in dedicated, high quality maths teaching rooms at our new state-of-the-art, IBM-sponsored STEM building.
These rooms include a range of traditional and high-tech teaching technologies to support your learning. Students who need extra help or who want to push themselves further can attend extra workshops and/or use our quiet study area.
Teaching & learning
In addition to traditional classroom learning, we give you extra opportunities for support and enrichment.
Indeed, every year Brock students take part in the regional Senior Team Maths Challenge competition, pitting themselves against teams from other local schools and colleges.
We also facilitate trips further afield, including visits to central London and elsewhere for stimulating talks by leading researchers.
- Develop mathematical problem-solving skills that can be applied to a range of disciplines, building your resilience and ability to think creatively and strategically.
- Learn a combination of pure and applied maths, including statistics and mechanics, which have broad applications for other subjects.
- Collect and analyse statistical data, using these data to make predictions about future events.
- Model and analyse the physical world around us using mathematical mechanics, helping you learn more about forces and motion.
- Gain satisfaction from mastering mathematical techniques and principles that will help you solve complex problems by applying reasoned, logical arguments.
- Use technology in the classroom to help visualise, model and solve a range of mathematical problems both pure and applied.
Minimum entry requirements
Five GCSEs at grade 4 and above to include:
- Maths grade 7
- Other GCSEs average grade 5
What can I do with this qualification?
A Level Mathematics is a highly regarded qualification that can support you in higher level study or employment.
Furthermore, it is essential for many university degrees such as Physics, Engineering, Computer Science and Architecture, as well as Mathematics itself.
It is also highly desirable for other degree courses such as Chemistry and Economics.
Finally, this qualification shows universities and employers that you have the abstract reasoning and problem solving skills that are required in many professions.
Brock has been absolutely brilliant in preparing me for my future, I feel happy and confident. My tutors are all so supportive and there is a really friendly atmosphere.
overall a level pass rate
Of students gained A* to B
Of students gained A* to C